Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What do you say?

My 5 year old said "What is fibro?".  I think she is confusing it with fiber!  I didn't get a chance to answer her because she siad she was confused and couldn't think of the right word.  So, that buys me a little time to think about how I want to explain it to her.  I feel so grateful that I am explaining something that while unpleasant, isn't life threatening or scarey.  I feel so much pain for mothers who might have to explain something more serious to a child...such as a terminal illness.  I also don't want my daughter to dwell on it and so I am considering never saying the word "Fibro" in front of her again.  I think that it might become the forbidden word.

While at the chiropractor today, I was given some new exercises to do as part of my therapy.  I do them there at the office and while I was doing them, another women was there with me.  She asked me if I had suffered from a back injury.  I said "No" but felt the need to explain.  But, it was a wierd feeling.  I have never told a stranger that I have fibromyalgia.  I blurted it out, quickly.  She gasped and said "That's terrible!!!".  I didn't know what to say.  Yeah- it is terrible.  Yeah - I hate that I have it.  But, it could be a lot worse.  She then said that a friend of hers had it and all I could think to say was "Yeah, it isn't fun".  I wish I would have told her to offer her friend support, I am sure she needs it.  We all do.

Then I had to tell my Chiropractor that I was in pain from the "bad" Dr. last week.  I told her that the last adjustment hurt and that I did really like the Dr., but it was too rough and painful.  I told her that I knew it was "just me and because of the fibro."  I wish I didn't have to explain.  How can you even describe it to someone?  No wonder the Doctors took so long to diagnose me, I was unable to put it into words.

My flu shot is still sore and a red circle surrounds it, about the size of a silver dollar.  I think its normal though, for someone with such sensitive skin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment