Wednesday, October 7, 2009

1st Adjustment at Chiropractor

Well, last night was the big night.  I got my x-ray results and had my 1st adjustment. 

For a long time now, I have always thought that many of my health problems were linked together and that the Dr.s were not making the connection.  I would see my OB/GYN for Endometriosis diagnoses/pain.  Then my hematologist for my ITP (autoimmune; low platelet count), Gastro Dr. for acid reflux and colon problems, and now the rheumologist for the Fibromyalgia.  I would like to think my primary care doctor looks at all this and tries to find a common cause (or cure) but I just don't think she has the time.  My list of health problems is far to long for a 37 year old.

So, where am I going with this?  I have wanted a wholistic approach.  When the Chiro showed my my x-rays, she said some interesting things.  She said some of my nerves that were not functioning properly were the nerves connected with the spleen, gallbladder, colon, and intestines.   Hmmmm....my platelets are being killed off in the spleen (so there has been talk of removing the spleen all together), my gallbladder was removed for stones and infection, and the gastro doctor told me that I have scar tissue wrapped around my colon from either endometriosis or c-section.  I don't think the Chiro even knew how instantly I made that connection.

The next nerve problem were the ones that run to the kidneys, ovaries, utereus.  She asked me if I had painful periods.  Well, I am on YAZ birth control even though my husband had a vasectomy.  The YAZ controls the pain and regulates my period.  Yup, another drug to fix the problem.  Supposedly, I have endometriosis and have been told to have a hysterectomy.  Yup, some dr.s really want to take out all of our organs.  I have lost my gallbladder, talk of taking out the spleen, and then the hysterectomy.  It's too much to take in sometimes.

So, Dr.s keep subscribing new drugs and I just keep going on exhausted and miserable.

Ok, now I am sort of sold, but still a skeptic...I had my 1st adjustment.  I layed flat on my stomach and she cracked some back bones.  It didn't hurt, just felt like some pressure.  Amazing it didn't hurt really - considering even the slightest touch hurts sometimes.

Then, I laid on my back and she cracked my head/neck.  That was loud and a little shocking, but I can't say that it hurt.  All in all, it took about 5 minutes.

Then, I went into another room where they did electric stimulation on my back shoulder muscles.  It tingles, but kind of felt good.  That lasted 8 minutes.  Next, the massage table.  I am not sure what this is really called, but I laid face up on a table and a ball moved up and down my back.  It didn't feel great, kind of uncomfortable.  But, it didn't hurt enough for me to want to stop it.

Ok...that was the visit.  Now, on to the schedule.  She wants me to come in 3 times a week.  Honestly, I was thankful it wasn't daily.  It makes sense that they want to do an intense period of therapy.  The main goal is to get me out of pain immediately.  I am all for it, of course!  I would do the 3 times per week for 4 weeks and then drop down to 2 times per week.  And, slowly get to a point where I go once per month.

Although my insurance covers a lot of it, I have a $20 copay at each visit.  It's not hard math - $60 per week and $240 for the month.  Yikes.  Honestly, I don't think its too much to pay for relief.  I would pay more if it took me out of the current misery I am in.  But, the timing is a little rough.  Christmas is fast approaching and we have a long list of people we need to buy for.  And, we really want to move in the spring and we are saving our money for a down payment.  My husband is in real estate and these are also his slow months, so income isn't as high as it was in the summer.

But, how can I walk away from something that might help?  I cannot live the rest of my life going to bed at 8pm only to drag out of bed each morning in pain and fog.  Its a miserable way to live.  I have to try this or I won't know if it works or not.

I will say, after my 1st adjustment, I do feel a little better.  My fatigue last night was not as bad as usual (I made it to 9:30pm- lol).  And, although my legs still have a lot of muscle pain, my overall stiffness isn't as bad.

So, long story short, I am going to keep at it.  But, I will pay week by week and if it isn't helping, I will discontinue this and keep searching for "cure".

No comments:

Post a Comment