Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Friendships

I recently read an article about friendships and support for people with fibro.  I have been thinking a lot about it.  To sum it up, it basically said you need to surround yourself with positive people and people that at least try to understand.  I am not sure that is even possible, I would cut out majority of my friends.  In fact, there are some friends I haven't even told about the fibro.

The alternative to this (which was mentioned in the article) was to lower your expectations about people understanding what we are going through.  This is where I am at.  I am trying not to let some things that other people say get to me, but it is VERY hard.  One friend said "Fibro what?" when I said the word Fibromyalgia.  She knew I had this, but couldn't really pronounce it, I guess.  She is a stay-at-home mom of a little boy that is 5 years old and she complains to me constantly about how much she has to do around the house.  For some reason, she thinks since I work full-time that I do not have the same amount of chores she does.  I can't figure out exactly why she thinks she has more laundry than we do when we have 1 additional family member.  But, that is not the point.

One time when I told her I couldn't babysit her son on a Thursday night because I had to get up for work the next day and I go to bed early she said (brace yourself):  "You need to take a vitamin."  GASP- that is what I did.  How dare she?

I shared it with my husband and we both rolled our eyes.  If all I needed to do was take a vitamin, well, I would thank my lucky stars.  And you know what, I do take a vitamin.  Does it help?  Not one bit.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment